Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2015

One of Us by Tawni O'Dell

Author: Tawni O'Dell
Publisher: Gallery Books
Date of publication: August 2014

Dr. Sheridan Doyle, a fastidiously groomed and TV-friendly forensic psychologist, is the go-to shrink for the Philadelphia District Attorney's office whenever a twisted killer's mind eludes other experts. But beneath his Armani pinstripes, he's still Danny Doyle, the awkward, terrified, bullied boy from a blue-collar mining family, plagued by panic attacks and haunted by the tragic death of his little sister and mental unraveling of his mother years ago.

Returning to a hometown grappling with its own ghosts, Danny finds a dead body at the infamous Lost Creek gallows where a band of rebellious Irish miners was once executed. Strangely, the body is connected to the wealthy family responsible for the miners' deaths. Teaming up with veteran detective Rafe, a father-like figure from his youth, Danny, in pursuit of a killer, comes dangerously close to startling truths about his family, his past, and himself.


One of Us was an intriguing read.  I really enjoyed the mystery. Danny Doyle is a forensic psychologist who studies serial killers for a living.  He has returned to his hometown to take care of his grandfather.  While there, a dead body is discovered.  The investigation leads to answers about what really happened to his baby sister and with his mother's conviction.  

 The story is told through the eyes of Danny and Scarlet.  At first, I thought the book would only be from Danny's point of view.  Then there was a switch about a quarter of the way through and it switched to Scarlet.  It was a little odd and unexpected because it didn't seem to fit with the story.  But, things definitely become clearer as the book progresses. I ended up really liking how the plot was doled out.  It kept me on my toes and kept the story interesting.  I did figure somethings out early, but there were a few surprises as well.

I haven't read anything else by this author.  I know I want to seek out some of her other books after reading this one.  I do recommend trying it out.  I think fans of a good mystery will like this one.



No comments: